Re: Water cooling question

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

There is a resin used for producing DI water, you just stick it in a length of tube with a bit of gauze at each end ... tap water in, DI out.  When I ran large industrial lasers, the cooling systems had a DI pack of this stuff in circuit. It kept conductivity well below around 20 uSiemens ... perfect for any high voltage use.

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 16:30, Stephen Tompsett <stephen@...> wrote:

What about using one of the radiators designed for water cooling computers? I think that a moderate size radiator/fan can can provide a cooling capacity of 200-400W for a 10 degree temperature difference from ambient when used with an appropriate fan.

On 13/05/2020 10:03, Conrad, PA5Y wrote:
Last night I ran my new water-cooled PA for 4.5hrs during the NAC/UKAC. I use 50l of distilled water in a barrel and a 30l/min pond pump. It all worked fine but the water was lukewarm so I was thinking that a small car heater radiator might be appropriate? I will bring the thermocouple from work and make some measurements but I estimate that the water was less than 30 deg C. I was wondering if these cheaper and small car heater radiators would help? Ironically I don't care about fan noise as I have a machine room next to the shack. It's an ex broadcast PA and just happened to be water-cooled and cheap.

I have no idea how much heat such a radiator with a fan would take out of the water.

73

Conrad PA5Y
--
Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)
Tel: 01788 578940

--
Best regards,

Robin Szemeti

Redpoint Consulting Limited

E: robin@...
T: +44 (0) 1299 405028
M: +44 (0) 7971 883371

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
confidential use of the above named recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient or person responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you have received this communication in error
and must not distribute or copy it.
Please accept the sender's apologies, notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail and delete this communication.

Thank you.