Re: 23cms last night

Phil Guttridge G3TCU

Hi Conrad,

Graham G3TCT is the 'USK beacon keeper. It only has solar & wind power and he currently lists it as on 07:00 - 18:00 UTC on Beaconspot. It's usually about S7 with me here at home (IO91QE)

73, Phil G3TCU.

On 16/04/2020 10:22, Conrad, PA5Y via groups.io wrote:
Last night I finally got my 23cms RX operational. 

Imagine my surprise when I found GB3MHZ was S9+40dB! I could also hear GB3DUN at 559 which I have never heard before. It seemed to be confined to the East coast although as there is no beacon in IO93 or there about it is hard to tell. I could not hear anything else. Is GB3USK always on?  I was very surprised not to hear it. It was quite late yesterday evening. 

There was absolutely no enhancement East or North East. I could hear the Berlin beacon but not strong.

TX will be tonight and tomorrow. I need to finish a little driver amp and make a few more cables. So I hope to be back for next week's UKAC and this time with the antenna 6m above the tree line.

Remember that I am well inland here - on 23cms the coastal stations will be MUCH louder.

Conrad PA5Y

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of SAM JEWELL via groups.io <jewell@...>
Sent: 16 April 2020 10:06
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] GB3PKT

I suspect the ‘been there, got the teeshirt’  may well apply.....

Sam

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, April 16, 2020, 8:55 am, John Lemay <john@...> wrote:

Sam and all

We need more activity ! Yesterday evening on 3cms Dutch and Belgian beacons were well above norm, and G stations were spotting them as if it was going out of fashion. But there were no near continental stations logged in to ‘KST Microwave chat, which makes it difficult to get a sked. Have they “done it all before”?

John G4ZTR

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of SAM JEWELL via groups.io
Sent: 15 April 2020 11:55
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] GB3PKT

Folks,

I have been doing a lot of beacon ‘spotting’ on 10GHz this last week or two. My particular interest is in the beacons to the east of me. I am finding that I can see weak traces from three ON beacons much of the time and PE9GHZ plus PI7ALK slightly less often. Not much of the more distant or beacons further north.

Last week, before the temperatures went down, there were excellent strength signals from all of these beacons. 

Today just a weak trace of the three ON beacons EME, GHZ and VHF. Maybe just something from PE9GHZ due to the (very) occasional plane.

G4OGI is the ‘expert’ on this stuff. I think there will be something on it in a forthcoming SP or in the Microwave column. Who needs planes?!!!

73 de Sam, G4DDK

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, April 15, 2020, 11:42 am, Denis Stanton G0OLX <Stantondenis@...> wrote:

John

Can confirm lack of planes!!!!!!

Will be nice when things get back to normal 

I had been coping GB3PKT for a week or more and getting some very strong signals

I am at sea level and have a sea wall 9 metres high about 1/2 a mile away so usually rely on a reflection from the Sky dish on the chimney even that has disappeared The last few days there might be a sea mist which might explain it

Waiting for the activity to pick up again on 10GHz from the moon the beacon was not on this morning so managed to see the moon noise and recon it’s about .2 dB from sky noise but am only seeing 3 dB from the sun so I thing I have some more work to on the dish, I have it mounted sideways but need to get it vertical so need a 50mm to 50 mm 90 degree plate to make the thing mount as it should be, if I lift the feed up by had the signal goes up a few degrees so I think the flimsy head mounts are not positioning the feed in the correct place

Will have to wait until we can all get around a lot better

73’s for now 

Stay safe

Denis

G0OLX

On 15 Apr 2020, at 10:29, John Fell <john.g0api@...> wrote:

Hi Denis ,

Some very low level noises on the frequency of PKT but I have not had solid copy for some time due to lack of scatterers - rain or Plane .....and yes plenty of Sun !

No Tropo down 'ear in Dorset.

John

G0API

On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 at 10:19, Denis Stanton G0OLX <Stantondenis@...> wrote:

John

Thank you must just be the path

Still seeing sun noise and .2 dB moon noise but can’t even see PKT in WSJT-X  which is most unusual 

Stay safe

Best 73’s

Denis G0OLX

On 15 Apr 2020, at 10:10, John Lemay <john@...> wrote:

Subject line changed …………

Yes GB3PKT is a fine signal on 10368.945 as usual this morning.

However, I’m also copying a weaker and warbly signal from it at +/- 48kHz or so. I don’t recall hearing that before so perhaps there is some instability.

John G4ZTR

JO01KW

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Denis Stanton G0OLX
Sent: 15 April 2020 09:50
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] SSB Electronics 23cm Masthead preamp problem

Change of subject 

Can anybody confirm GB3 PKT is in air haven’t heard it for a couple of day

Denis

G0OLX

On 15 Apr 2020, at 09:32, Paul Phillips <paul.g4kzy@...> wrote:

Hi Mike and Pete,

I saw the relay on the input and there was a tiny break in the trace just where the coax relay is soldered in.  However, unless I got it wrong, it seems that the relay is energised on Rx and it shorts out the input on Rx.  I say "shorts it out", but the trace is quite thin and about 30mm long.  I would guess that it is supposed to be an open quarter wave on transmit and a shorted quarter wave on receive.  Anyhow, the fact that it was broken probably points to why the device failed initially.

Thanks Mike for your suggestions, all of which are of interest.  However, right now I have too many projects and not enough time, so my strategy is to get the preamp working properly with a minimum of changes.  Ideally Farnell would sell a drop-in MGF1302 replacement and stock Minicircuits amplifiers (well one can wish ...).  At least I can get smaller capacitors from them.

I recently failed to copy somebody running 80 watts and he managed to get my 10 watts OK, so I just want a decent level of sensitivity on the band without breaking the bank or spending a couple of weeks fiddling around.

Thanks again and 73,

Paul G4KZY

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join UKMicrowaves@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.