Re: 12v supply to masthead

alwyn.seeds1

Dear All,

Have used both mains to mast-head and 110V also.

I agree that using sense wires is very risky in a high RF environment.

For mains to the mast-head, make sure all the metal is bonded and earthed and that there are the usual residual current protections required for outdoor circuits.

Since chunky bonding and earthing is needed for lightning protection, this is no great burden. Make sure everything is properly labelled, so that anyone working on the tower is aware of the hazard.

One point about cable- ordinary mains cable is likely to embrittle with UV exposure, creating a safety issue.

There are special outdoor high UV exposure cables available- Olflex is the brand we use- that will last well.

Regards,

Alwyn

Alwyn Seeds, Director
SynOptika Ltd.,