From: Chris Bartram G4DGU <chris@...>
Date: 22/01/2020 10:00 (GMT+00:00)
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] 23 cm yagi design

Hello Ben,

> AM hi.

Laugh you not! I know I'm by no means alone on this group in having made
my first QSOs on 23cm using AM! At that time in the radio medieval
(early 1970s) , the kit consisted of a HB valve transmitter on 2m, and
two cascaded varactor triplers from 2m. It's was probably a good thing
that I didn't then have a spectrum analyser!

Incidentally, I still have some affection for varactor technology. It
was much maligned, but used sensibly capable of very good performance.
The Russians, in particular, used varactors extensively, and I have some
which should allow quite high power on 47 and 76GHz if I ever find time
to design and build the kit. Retirement seems to mean that there are
even fewer hours in the day to play radio!

73

Chris G4DGU