Re: Input Needed for RadCom Column

Andy G4JNT

So. you're saying, for the olde-mann ident stage, it would be preferable to introduce a carefully designed, non-linear chirp along with a bit of PR noise.   That can be done with a PIC / DDS combination, so a direct upconversion based beacon should be able to manage it.   But a PLL or RDDS based one can't hack it

For all  the use the CW ident is, might as well do something special and use some artistry for its sound.

Now there's a thought for any GB3SC# update - a custom CW ident

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 17:01, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

It is a GLORIOUS sound Adrian, expecially after it has travelled 342km to reach here, which, as you know, it does quite often. I like PI7RTD as well, and all of the others the whoop and slide and chirp. Perfection is boring, at least for the CWID.

Neil G4DBN

On 22/01/2020 15:56, Adrian G4UVZ via Groups.Io wrote:
Whilst the idea of keying the 5Mhz sounds interesting ..I fear that the df/dt of the keying by the time it had gone through the PLL would be  pretty poor..as you can hear the exisiting keying is no wonderful!  https://www.beaconspot.uk/beaconsnd.php?beaconcall=GB3KBQ