Re: Rotator question

Chris Bartram G4DGU

Hello John ('XDY, this time!)

Fitting a shaft encoder into a '2051 shouldn't be a big problem. I've played with magnetic encoders while (too slowly ...) developing a new EME dish mount but I'm certain there would be no problem mechanically, with that rotator, providing the end-float problem was considered.

I'm very happy - so far! - with the OE9PMJ az-el controller, but I'm sure that for a simple azimuth controller an Arduino based approach would be pretty simple to implement.

73

Chris G4DGU

I have been using a Prosistel 2051 for nearly 10 years now and its proved its worth. It fitted the existing Altron head unit with no problem.  Like others I'm on about my third indicator pot and am considering changing to an absolute encoder and rebuilding the controller to suit, but that's not a simple task. I believe Prosistel do now make a version with a shaft encoder with 0.1 degree resolution. The PstRotatorAz software package from YO3DMU works well too.