Re: Test

SAM JEWELL

In my case, now I have the Leo Bodnar reference locking fitted on my IC9700, I can properly test the doppler tracking of the ON0EME beacon, off the moon. The slight, but noticeable, uncertainties of 1296MHz frequency on the K3/Kirton transverter made it difficult to be certain of whether the tracking really was working as it should.
My problem today is that the moon is at a very low declination and hardly clearing the large oak tree at the end of the garden at present.  I use the df reading on WSJT-X to check the (audio) frequency. The ground noise from the oak tree (still with lots of leaves) together with libration, means a small but noticeable spread on the display.  Everything does seem to be working well, though. Fun!

73 de Sam, G4DDK

On Saturday, November 30, 2019, 4:01 pm, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

Hibernation here Ralph, although I did pump the dish up to full height and could hear a sniff on KBQ on 3cm, plus lots or nice fat aircraft scatter.  Then the dratted thing froze wolid, so I had a lot of fun with gallons of hot water and a pump-action pistol trying to unfreeze it in the pitch dark at 1.30am.

I've got the heater on in the machine shop and I'm making a batch of Rexolite lenses for QO100 antennas and three 3.4GHz feedhorns and a pile of stuff for 122GHz, oh and a 24GHz milled waveguide preamp enclosure and three 24GHz milled copper PA enclosures and some DF9IC spreaders and several W6PQL spreaders and some heatsinks for 70MHz PAs and about a dozen other projects, include two 500W 23cm PA enclosures to complete.  Keeping busy, but I've dome something hideous to my left shoulder so I can't lift anything, which means zero chance of getting the SCAM which supports the 70/23/13cm stuff back up to vertical until a squad arrives to assist.

All of which means I haven't been able to ask any daft questions on here.

I could ask "What is is like when you are pumping up a SCAM12 and you realise too late that the heavy power feed cable is caught round your leg and you can't reach the air tap fast enough to stop it and your leg is so far off the ground that you are doing the splits and there is nobody at home or within yelling distance?"

However, I now know EXACTLY what it is like.  I had visions of being found the next morning, hanging upside down by one leg.

Now luckily, I am possessed of an immensely large amount of gravitational attraction to terra firma.  Swiftly and with amazing dexterity, I wrapped the other feeders round my good arm and pulled like hell.  That just balanced the 22psi air pressure from the compressor regulator. I managed to pull the thing down about 3ft, but the additional area of the next piston was too strong.  No hope of reaching the tap, even with my bad arm, but I gained a tiny bit of slack and I managed to shake my airborne leg enough so the lasso loosened a bit.  After a good five minutes of vigorous wriggling and calisthenics, involving the cable snagging on my boot and a lot of expletives, it let go.

Now I just had the issue of the feeders around my arm with a pull of at least half my weight.  If I let go, the pressure would launch the dish and top sections into space for sure.  I could reach the tap, but needed two hands to disconnect the air line. I decided to wrap the feeders round my leg again, but in a spiral, and trod on the feeders with my other foot.  That let me unwind my now numb, cold and white arm.  Once the blood returned to the poor mistreated limb, I released the feeders gradually and the dish went up nice and gently to full height.

That four-strand sinnet plait cable grip I made from Kevlar braided rope is REALLY strong.

Neil G4DBN (with some hard-to-explain-to-wife rope burns and bruises)

On 30/11/2019 15:12, Ralph via Groups.Io wrote:

Excuse the bandwidth, but nothing received for two days approximately

From the group.

I was wondering if everyone has hibernated or there is a problem

With the email server.