Re: WebSDRs on SHF

Richard <richard@...>

Just a foot note in case someone says , well Amsat have a wedsdr

Just happens to be at the end of a major fibre trunk with massive capacity

On Mon, 2019-02-25 at 19:00 +0000, Richard wrote:

No reason why not Adrian the Raspberry PI is a good little SBC
The difference is thats passing data to a central server, and you're not using the data from your SDR , but using the collected data as a whole
entity.
If you set up a local web sdr server you have to use it as a client, albeit as your own system you have extra privileges.
And I suspect most will want to see what they are receiving as it happens, and not log in to a remote server.
If a central server is used , who is going to fund it ?
An even bigger problem is the majority are listeners, not as bad as some who only turn their rigs on on Tuesday evenings then turn them off for a month.
Also the same people that complain of lack of activity,
But unless a lot of thought is put in , it will end up as a microwave WSPR network

The easiest way is to run a local web sdr and allow others to log in a view the logs, The later version of the Rasp Pi could do this and provide a secure net interface.
The hard thing is logging a trace on a waterfall display, so you really need to live stream the sdr output, then you are up against your upload rates if multiple user logins.
my thought s
Richard g8jvm

On Mon, 2019-02-25 at 18:32 +0000, Adrian G4UVZ via Groups.Io wrote:

Like Ed, I am no computer expert ! However I have a Raspberry PI connected to an SDR which receives ADSB data on 1060Mhz .This is magically fed into the interweb and contributes to the UK Radar360 network. Not sure if this could be upscaled to provide a simple websdr?

G4UVZ