Re: WebSDRs on SHF

Ed G3VPF

I have a good site (500 ft asl) on the south coast available with power and internet. Have a 23cms masthead unit available and space for a second masthead system, perhaps 3cms. My difficulty is not the RF side but the software side.

Does anyone have a suitable processing box that will sit between the SDR interface and the internet that I can just plug-in and go?

On Monday, February 25, 2019, 17:09, g4zod@... via Groups.Io <g4zod@...> wrote:

I have some spare wave guide in stock and there is no reason why I could not pop it into my Mill and cut some slots in it.
What sort of accuracy is required?
Many thanks
G4ZOD
Sent from BlueMail
On 25 Feb 2019, at 15:07, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
I'd be totally happy to machine up a load of omni slot arrays and send
them out free* in return for a small donation to UKuG funds. I've got a
7ft tall 23cm reduced-height waveguide slot array taking shape in the
machine shop now, something like that would scale easily to the higher
bands, maybe 8 slots per face milled in ally, or better, a tubular
arrangement, with a nice easy way to couple to an LNB without needing to
machine the feedhorn off.

If it would fit in a bit of polythene pipe as a radome, so much the better.

Neil G4DBN

*offer limited to the first 50 takers!

On 25/02/2019 13:19, PAUL NICKALLS via Groups.Io wrote:
I have seen slotted omni (or nearly) antennas made from circular
tube.  Maybe a size that would allow standard copper water pipe to fit
in the end of a LNB maybe with a coupling sleeve.  A simple design for
the home constructor would be good.  A simple pipe cap on the top and
some silicone sealant at the bottom.  Probably need some tape to seal
the slots.  Anyone got time to experiment?

Paul G8AQA

On 25/02/2019 12:40, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:
The loss of the CCX beacons and the difficulties in getting licences
for beacons on some bands has got me thinking about whether a wider
network of home-sited WebSDRs might actually be of more use than
remote beacons. Especially if they were able to receive digimodes and
report to PSKReporter or the RBN as well as have the usual WebSDR
display.  Perhaps that might be a project to push now that so many
new stations are taking advantage of the very simple and cheap
receive options available for 3cm.

OK, we'd need to come up with a decent design for an omni antenna
which would work with the usual LNBs and be simple enough to put up
on a chimney in an unobtrusive radome, but a few dozen of those
dotted around the UK might make for an interesting resource, same as
we have now with FT8 on 2m.  I just call CQ for 10 minutes, spinning
the beam every other transmission, and I get a coverage map showing
where I am being heard.  Might also encourage a few more to try
microwave band operating from home.

Personal beacons are always hugely welcome, but it would be nice if
there was a way to know when they were operating.  Perhaps some sort
of auto-update facililty on Beaconspot so it is aware of when the
personal beacon is transmitting?

Neil G4DBN

---
https://www.avg.com