Re: Using PU foam in feedhorns?

Richard GD8EXI

Can I suggest an experiment with B and Q polyurethane foam. Put a freshly made lump of it in a microwave oven along with a dummy load (cup of water) and see how hot it gets after say 3 minutes at full power. Then take the same the lump of foam, soak it in water for 24 hours or more, dry its surface and repeat the experiment in the microwave.

PU foam is used for microwave application as you already know for example.

https://www.generalplastics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/White-Paper-PU-Foam-Dielectric-Materials-for-Use-in-Radomes-and-Other_Applications.pdf

However some of the additives in B and Q foam may make it less suitable. It only takes 1% or less of something with a high dielectric loss or something in there that make it hydroscopic to ruin the performance in a horn.

Richard
GD8EXI