Re: 144MHz Gain block

Andy G4JNT

Danke ...

I've ordered one.   1MHz to 1GHz , 2 Watt saturated.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/112991082065

Hopefully the raw device will be identifiable, but as usual with these Chinese modules, probably cheaper buying ready built like this than it is to get the components.

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 at 17:00, SAM JEWELL via Groups.Io <jewell=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yes, Andy the little ‘2 Watt’ 2 stage wideband amplifiers on EBay will do 1W at very good linearity. Really awful much above that and excellent at 500mW. They will do HF through 500MHz. Performance is much worse above that. If you need low gain then ditch the first stage. Over 50dB gain at low HF!
They have a small, but adequate heatsink on the rear of the board.
I don’t have an Ebay reference, but you can’t fail to see them once you start looking.......

Sam, G4DDK

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, November 22, 2018, 4:26 pm, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

I need a gain block to go from a little under 0dBm up to a bit over 27dBm or 500mW.   This is needed to make my Elad FDM-DUO "look like" the FT817 for driving transverters.
But it's a very inconvenient gain arrangement to get using gain blocks
PGA-103 etc go to 50mW and needs the input attenuating.  Then any discrete device after that has to be wound back so much it gets silly.
Meaning :   Atten - Gain - Atten Gain

Is there an off the shelf solution to 27dB - 30dB gain  up to 1 Watt output?  Or will it have to be a pair of bipolars with old-fashioned discrete circuitry