Re: Interesting used of Mike's propagation plotting... [1 Attachment]

Andy G4JNT

Oh, I hadn't realised that, but it explains a lot.  During all the lightning activity the night before I saw a multiplicity of "sheet lightning" flashes, almost continuous at times like a strobe (the activity was to the west of me, over the New Forest / Dorset") but very little thunder.  If the discharges are happening that high, explains the lack of noise and widespread visibility

I'm more used to ground strikes, where they emanate from a few hundred metres accompanied by ear-shattering noise.   Only rarely seen quiet activity like this.

On 28 May 2018 at 08:08, Rainer df6na@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from Rainer included below]

Hello Andy,

the altitude of flashes can be between 4000m and 12000m - sometimes even higher.

73, Rainer

Am 28.05.2018 um 08:58 schrieb Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt@... [ukmicrowaves]:

Yesterday evening a friend photographed a flash of lightning from her house at Winchester, but there was nothing local here. The only thunderstorm activity reported on lightning.org was around High Wycombe / Chilterns , some appreciable distance away.

So I plotted the path on MJW_Prop using a "mast height" of 500m at the far end to simulate cloud height, and set K = 1 to get this plot

Suppose it's obvious when you think about it and calculate LOS distances for cloud height, but still made me do a double-take!