Re: HP 10811-60111 info

David Wrigley <davidwrigley@...>

Hi Conrad

Just noticed your message - (I'm currently diverted with digital video)

I have an HP OCXO on a pcb with a similar number to the one you mention. I
can't see the whole number whilst it's assembled in the rack mounting case.

I have the card assy in my Brooks Shera system.
The card has a divider on it to give 1MHz output as well as 10MHz. I
remember having to change over the division ratio so that I could get a 5MHz
output from it to lock up my Adret. The card was originally wired to divide
by 5 and then by two, so I changed it too divide by two first. The OCXO is
noticeably better than the Toyocom that was originally in the HS400.

If you need the 5MHz facility, I could strip the card out and take some pics
of the mods. Let me know?

The time constant over which you average the error reading in the PLL is
related to accuracy you want to achieve against the speed of the lock. Bear
in mind that if your OCXO is drifting at all you cannot use a long time
constant in the PLL - it will simply lose control. I would recommend that
initially at least start off with quite a short time constant and let the
OCXO settle down - over a period of a week or so. Then you can start to
tighten up the control by lengthening the TC.

This hits on the real problem of using GPS for portable operations - to get
good accuracy it need some time to settle down. For practical purposes
however an hour may provide adequate stability, provided that the OCXO has
been kept powered up.

I have found a Rubidium standard quick and convenient for any tests I have
been conducting - it seems to get better than 1pp10^10 within a few minutes.

David G6GXK