Re: ADF5355 - Good Enough for 24 GHz!

Brian Flynn GM8BJF

I echo the sentiment that the ADF5355 (or the ADF4351) should be run at high charge pump current levels to keep the close to carrier PN down. I have also found that the highest possible PD frequency helps. Certainly going from 25 to 50 MHz helps noticeably. The improvement going to 100 MHz was not so obvious. The effect of varying other parameters was not discernible.

I have expanded on the Scatterpoint article and and added some more plots which may be of interest.

https://gm8bjf.joomla.com/past-talks/15-reducing-phase-noise-pn-on-chinese-adf5355-boards

I have also put links to the schematics of the "black" PCBs. (Found on various Chinese websites)

73s
Brian Flynn
GM8BJF