Re: Digifest this Evening

Ole OZ2OE

Enjoyed last night and this time nearly working G4DBN. The small common volume and the (relative) few planes passing in the middle of North See makes it hard, so we have to get the most from a few short reflections. In our case I agree 15s is too long.
As a contrast I worked DL7QY at abt same distance (actually 25 km longer). Also small common volume, but with the heavy air traffic over middle Germany, there were audible reflections nearly every 15s period, so easy QSO.

Looking forward to next Diginight.

73 Ole OZ2OE

Den 21. december 2017 kl. 10.02.08 +01.00, skrev Neil neil@... [ukmicrowaves] :

I always try to announce the freq, mode, period and tx time when working someone, plus direction when CQing. Best approach is just to ask the ops if they are on KST.  JT9F-fast seems to outperform ISCAT for aircraft scatter on 23/13cm, but for weak tropo there are better slow mode options.  15 second overs are too long really, but some setups get into sequencing and relay problems at shorter intervals. With a reflection peak lasting less than 20 seconds, 15s overs mean you need at least two planes.  5s is a bit short, 10s a bit long, 7s would be a nice option!  I nearly made it with OZ2OE but we only have a very small common volume between us, so once the planes thinned out, we had to give up. Two periods of decode one way, one period the other.  Very close.

Hoping for some action on the other bands soon, particularly 3cm.

Neil G4DBN

On 21/12/2017 08:14, david.m.k@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

Well I did try, I could hear several data stations but could not get either of the two programs to work tonight. Need to go over all my set up again since have changed from HB transverter and 7100 to a 9100.

I always have a problem identifying which mode is being tx'd.  Is it generally JT9F -fast and 14 second on 23 cm?  Sometimes I cannot see the mode on KST.

Still it is good to know that here is activity outside Tuesday nights, I shall be back.