Re: Analog Devices Pluto

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Derek, I was on the cusp of ordering a B205mini-i when I saw the "student" offer on the Pluto. Not totally convinced, but one hell of a saving for some initial experiments and a way to refamiliarise myself with GNUradio.  Notes say some early versions have a 9364, and can therefore be unlocked to cover up to 6GHz, but if the later ones have the 9363, that won't be possible I guess? I note that Analog site says they are on back order, and Farnell have no stock either. Arrow and Digikey also have none.

At the price, it is worth taking a punt on one just to play with, even if it won't cover 5.7GHz.

What do you find the real-world noise figure is on the B200mini receiver?  Spec says <8dB, and I've seen 5dB quoted at 2.4GHz.

Neil G4DBN

On 10/10/2017 21:32, Derek Kozel derek.kozel@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

Hi Chris,

I had a chance to talk with Analog Devices at GNU Radio Conference last month where they were, among many things, showing off the PlutoSDR. It is a simple but effective transceiver. Anyone using it should add external band pass filters to improve its performance.

I use the B200mini which uses the same Analog Devices 936x family transceiver chip as the core of my microwave and VHF/UHF radio work. I tend to use a bandwidth of about 1 MHz and then use DSP to handle pulling individual signals out of the passband. I'd be very happy to talk with anyone interested in using an SDR like this as part of their setup. My daily work is building and programming these radios. The Pluto, LimeSDR, USRPs, and other similar radios are just going to grow more and more common and it's definitely a technology we should make more use of.

By the way, the Pluto ships by default with a frequency range of 325 - 3800 MHz, but some or possibly all can be upgraded to a range of 70 - 6000 MHz. The effective tuning accuracy out of the box is sub 1 Hz with a few ppm accuracy. Unfortunately the PlutoSDR does not have an external reference feature, but some handy soldering could replace the reference TCXO...
https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/pluto/users/customizing#updating_to_the_ad9364

Regards,
Derek

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Christopher Bartram cbartram@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

I had an email from a components distributor suggesting that I order one
of these new ADI evaluation/learning modules. I might well do just that.
Go to <www.analog.com> and search on 'Pluto'.

Based on a single chip direct-conversion up and down conversion, and at
around £75 delivered, this unit looks as though it could become a
standard tool for learning about software defined receivers and
transmitters. The module operates over about the 380MHz to 6GHz band, so
it's of particular interest to members of this Group. A very quick
initial scan of the (already fairly large) available literature gives
the impression that the minimum channel width is 200kHz, with a similar
bandwidth, and frequency step, but there's already a way of
circumventing the frequency step size, and I suspect ways could be found
to reduce the bandwidth.

Even with the limitations, this is a very useful approach to generating
and receiving signals on all of our bands from 432 to 3400 MHz, and it
would be worth people with more advanced SDR/software skills than mine,
taking a careful look.

73

Chris GW4DGU