Re: A couple of gripes about 1296MHz

Gordonjcp <gordon@...>

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:19:51AM +0100, 'brian.flynn@tiscali.co.uk' brian.flynn@tiscali.co.uk [ukmicrowaves] wrote:
Regarding GB3EDN the beacon is sited on the Kings Buildings campus of
University of Edinburgh on the south side of the city. The antenna is
sited on top of a four storey tower block so is at a good height AGL.
(It can be seen on google earth if you know where to look!). The ground
rises quite steeply to the south so coverage in that direction is poor
It is clear north and east having a good view down the Forth estuary to
Scandinavia. The original intention back in 1976 was to give warning of
tropo openings in that direction. I have now retired from the University
but will have access to the site for the next 18 months at least. When I
finally go I will in all conscience have to remove it I am afraid.
In a previous job I looked after 460MHz (bloody longwave bollocks) comms
gear on the roof of the library at the Kings buildings site. My first
choice was alongside EDN but apparently mobile phone kit was going up
there and we weren't allowed to use that roof.

Is there no-one else there interested in keeping it on?

--
Gordonjcp MM0YEQ