I will take a listen for your beacon when I get home this afternoon, the path profile between us, does not look to bad, there's an awful of the North Sea and a bit of North Yorkshire around the Scarborough area, my take off due north is pretty clear, so you never know, if I do hear anything that I think will be the first time I have heard a GM signal from the main part of Scotland on 23cm ( I did work someone last year in Shetland). Currently my 2x2C39A PA is also under rebuild, and I have my antenna system to upgrade, a new 44 Ele Wimo and a taller mast with a proper rotator. Currently just upgrading the 6, 4 & 2 M antenna system, but once I complete that I will get the 70m, 23cm and even 13 cm gear on the stocks.
If any copied will send an email.

73 G8ECI Jo03ai

On Monday, 9 October 2017, 14:34, "'Martin Andrew' martin.andrew@... [ukmicrowaves]" wrote:

Just for info, I dug into my bits box and found an old driver board that moded down to 23cm easily.
Now driving it with PI4 and CW with my call/B and locator.
Will leave it running to 180 degree for a hour or so on 1296.004MHz.
If my interest is peaked then will see what I can throw together to make up an amplifier rather than
run my present 'Homebrew' 2X2C39 amp.

Martin, GM6VXB

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2017 8:50 AM
Subject: [ukmicrowaves] Re: A couple of gripes about 1296MHz

Perhaps you could join forces and build a beacon /help find a new site for existing ?
The UK Microwave Group have funds that can be applied for to help cover equipment costs .
Sites are the key - try an approach to an existing repeater group or even appeal to a Mc Mobile outfit - I watched the growth of hilltop sites over the 15 years of GM holidays , starting from the late 80's - there's a lot of it about .
Regarding Beacon status , BeaconSpot is maintained on behalf of the UK Microwave Group by Robin G8APZ and is as up to date as the individual Keepers and Users supplied data .
User reports are kept on individual Beacons , so if in doubt about frequency or operational status , looking at the recent spots will give you a good clue to its status .
This resource alone is worth the £6 annual membership of the Group.

If you are attending the Scottish Microwave event on November 4th , I am sure there will be members willing and able to offer advice on Beacon building issues .

73
John
G0API

PS If lack of activity on 1296MHZ is an issue , try EME ....