Re: A couple of gripes about 1296MHz

Neil Smith G4DBN

Having a fixed time slot to get on the band might be a way to drum up some activity, Martin. Myself, I am working away a lot, and when I am home, I have a lot of other projects on the go. As a result, pumping up the mast and searching for a QSO on 23 is not top of my list of priorities. The Thursday evening MGM sessions used to be OK, but are now pretty much hopeless for me as I am rarely at home that night.

I would certainly be up for some regular skeds to do long-term propagation experiments on Monday/Friday/Saturday/Sundays, looking for off-axis scatter perhaps, or at least evaluating the most scattery planes and finding the optimal tx/rx over length and timing for contest exchanges. Keeping the sessions to 30 minutes max and doing a standard set of tests each time would eventually gather a useful body of data, without eating up too much time and energy.

During the day when I'm working from home, I can only do brief operational sessions in coffee breaks and over lunch, and pumping the mast up takes 7 minutes, then 3 minutes to drop it, so I only get 5 minutes operation during the break, hardly worth it. If I had the luxury of a permanently-available antenna, things would be a lot easier.

So, something like "2130z for 30 minutes every Monday and Friday night, using 10 second overs with some MGM aircraftscatter mode on 1296.xxx" might be the basis for a long-term sked which might attract others. Or SSB with 5 second overs during particular plane transits. Or skeds using passive scatter from the ISS, or 10 minute tropo tests or whatever. Someone needs to be the fulcrum of activity and hang in there for months and bug people to get on and operate, like Lyn GW8JLY did last year on 2m SSB. Plenty of DX spots and chatter on KST would also get people interested.

Neil G4DBN

On 02/10/2017 09:25, 'Martin Andrew' martin.andrew@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

After spending a minimal amount I have managed to get back on 1296MHz with what I
consider an averagesystem. Still some optimization to do, but I am asking myself
should I bother with the activity levels on the band.
This morning logged on to KST and see the usual stations there. 18 logged on at 07:45.
Now log on during a contest or activity period and there will be approximately 60 on. These
numbers are for all EU stations, for 'G' presently five logged on (two showing 'away'), during
contests I would expect to see around thirty 'G's' logged on.
WHERE ARE THEY outside activity periods. Or have they beaten me to it by deciding
there is no 23cm activity outside of contests. This is from observation over the last two
months. Yes, there has been almost no tropo recently but what happens to air scatter
outside contests ?. I presume it does not exist.
Many years ago there were some local(?) nets on 23cm. The nearest station to me was
in Edinburgh 270Km distant. Now no activity unless they have become 'private' nets.
I have two beacons that (from earlier experience) should be detectable here.
BOTH are showing as 'operational' on Beaconspot.eu. One is
definately not QRV (unless other info has not been updated) and the other may or may not
be fullyoperational according to information on Beaconspot. I know requests have been made
both on here and at the last microwave meeting at Martelsham to update information,so do I
beleive the information on there or ignore a good resource as probably not up to date. I will
not name the beacons on here but suffice to say both are located in Scotland on the East
side.
So today it is too windy to put the antennas up, but I will hear and work the same number of
stations that I hear when the antennas are up, NON and will probably stay that way until the
next contest. Which begs the question, is it worth staying on what I considered an interesting
band many years ago.
Martin, GM6VXB