Re: GPRS -

gm4plm <simon@...>

Andy,

I am not sure if your comment is meant tongue in cheek or actually
serious........ "new windows thingy" ????

Actually to be honest I can set up a datacard in 10 minutes on an XP
machine and I can only do that because the technology has been
designed to be plug n play and the dashboard has been designed to do
so.

I cannot even consider how difficult setting up a GPRS card on a DOS
(cough splutter - DOSwhatttttt?) - can you guess why companies that
provide this HW dont supply DOS programs instead of windows packages!

As for WLAN setting - I am not going to comment further as I assume
your looking for a "bite" !!!!!!

Mutter mutter.........!

Would it be beneficial for me to do a small talk at MMRT about
3G/GPRS cards and technology and setting up a connection???

rgds

Simon DL4PLM

--- In ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com, Talbot Andrew <actalbot@m...>
wrote:
As one who would still prefer to be using DOS rather than this new
Window
thingy on computers........ :-(

Could someone put together a simple step-by-step guide on how to
get GPRS
going so any cheap and ancient laptop can connect to the internet
from a
hilltop.

Something along the lines of:

Buy such-and-such GPRS card
Buy Vodafone SIM
Plug into laptop
Install software
Tear hair out
Log onto 'KST
Liaise with the world

Its difficult enough changing a modem/dial up connection with
micro-soggy
software, and I haven't even dared to try getting into the WLAN
Inet route
we set up for contests.

Andy G4JNT

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not
the
intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy,
print,
or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error
has
misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to
this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is
subject to monitoring and auditing."