Re: Timepod (was - Morion OCXO)

Derek Kozel <derek.kozel@...>

The US National Institute of Standards and Technology has just published a paper doing oscillator metrology using Software Defined Radios. I have access to the same receivers as they used and will be replicating their setup, hopefully in the next month. I'll be sure to post my results and experiences to this list. The radios are considerably cheaper than the Timepod, compare well in the results, and can be used as transceivers for all the bands from 70 MHz to 6 GHz. I use it as the base for my microwave rigs.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1605.03505v1.pdf

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

"Cross correlation" suggests  mixing of the two sources and averaging (filtering) the result followed by digitisation of the baseband output.   Or at least its equivalent using DSP    Quadrature mixer to resolve ambighities.

I've been intending to make something do that for ages- but its not high up the priority tree.

I've measured such reference sources by multiplying both the test signal and the reference  up to 2.5GHz, but 900Hz apart, then mixing the two signals and using a sound card to monitor the resulting 900Hz.   An FFT plot shows short term stabilities and frequency offsets.

'jnt

On 3 August 2016 at 18:29, Grant Hodgson grant@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

The Timepod is a very high performance instrument for measuring the
stability of signa lsources. It uses cross-correlation to reduce the
system noise floor to very low levels. It was designed by John Miles
KE5FX as a commercial product which is sold by Symmetricom.

Timelab is the analysis program that does the back-end processing,
also written by John and performs time, phase amd frequency analysis.

The Timepod uses LTC2216 ADCs and great care was taken with the signal
layout, use of low-noise regulators, signal conditioning etc. Digital
data is sent to the PC for processing in Timelab, which does the FFTs,
user displays etc.

Timepod retails for around $5k, out of the reach of most amateurs but
representing and exceptional price/performace for commercial
customers. The schematic is provided in the manual if you want to
roll your own!

regards
Grant G8UBN

Quoting "Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt@... [ukmicrowaves]"