Re: Morion OCXO

Stephen Tompsett

I'm using an HP53132 counter/timer to compare oscillators against a GPS locked rubidium reference, basically just measuring the phase difference between the oscillators under test. The software makes it easy to control the counter and acquire and analyse the collected data.

Stephen Tompsett

On 3 Aug 2016 13:41, "Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt@... [ukmicrowaves]" <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

Interesting link - in a way.   That 'TimePod', described as a 'Programmable Cross Spectrum Analyser'  [whatever that is ] needed to provide input to the measurement software is an enigma.  They state it uses  "... high performance host-based DSP techniques ... " which really means everything that matters is done on the PC and the Pod could be something quite simple.

My guess is, its a digitiser as in any direct sampling SDR (and judging by the upper frequency limit of 30MHz, an average-range one).

'jnt

On 3 August 2016 at 08:54, Stephen Tompsett stephen@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

For comparing oscillators you might find Timelab useful

http://www.ke5fx.com/timelab/readme.htm

On 02/08/2016 19:29, Edward Harland g3vpf@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

My MV89 came still attached to the PCB. Someone had gone round the edges with tinsnips. No attempt had been made to de-solder the unit. It has full output and works at all orientations.

I tried comparing the frequency of the MV89 with the Leo Bodnar GPS and found that for about an hour after both units were switched on the relative frequency was changing pretty much continuously but then slowed and stopped. After adjusting the frequency trimmer on the MV89 it held the frequency for the next 30 minutes. Had to stop the test at that point. I have no means of finding out which, or both, of the units were changing, but the result looks very promising.

Will now build a unit with built-in batteries so the MV89 is always on, even when travelling to a /P location.

Thanks for all the comments received - very helpful.

Ed G3VPF

On Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 12:45, "Michel Bourdon michel.m.bourdon@... [ukmicrowaves]" wrote:

you may also want to try the OCXO in various positions, i.e horizontal, vertical ...
I have one which only works when vertical !
73 Michel F6DZK

Some are low on output too. GM8BJF found you can gently heat the case and melt the solder seal and pull off the cover. This reveals a pcb which has a connection to the output pin. The SM output coupling C on this pcb can be replaced and the output level restored. I have done this to two of mine and successfully increased a very low output level. I suspect the C gets damaged on extraction from the original pcb....with a blowtorch!!?

73 de Chris G8BKE

--
Stephen Tompsett