Re: Morion OCXO

Andy G4JNT

Apply a fine tune voltage of between 0 to 5V to the tuning pin for fine adjustment.   You don't say which model you have, but I have an older Morion OCXO (roughly 2004 vintage) and that pin offers a few parts per billion of fine tuning - can't recall exactly how many and can't measure it now; it's now built into the 10GHz PortaBeacon.

The heat will be coming from the outer oven, and you will save a bit of power consumption by enclosing in insulation - its not that important.

'jnt

On 1 August 2016 at 19:39, Edward Harland g3vpf@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

Following the recent discussion on the group about stabilising frequencies using OCXO's I have acquired a Morion double OCXO and have the following questions for those of you who will have more experience of using these devices than I do.

1. The unit runs hot to the touch, I measured 46C, which implies a lack of internal heat insulation. Is the oven performance improved by adding additional external heat insulation such as sheet expanded polystyrene?

2. The unit has a fine tune capability via an externally applied voltage. I assume I can just leave this pin open circuit. If I want to improve accuracy how do I adjust the voltage to get the correct frequency? From comments on the group it would appear the GPSDO short-term stability is not good enough. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ed G3VPF