Re: Latest RadCom Plus

geoff Blake

Well said David.

Geoff

Geoff Blake,   G8GNZ    JO01fq:   Chelmsford,  Essex,  UK
<geoff@...>    or   <melecerties@...>
Using Linux: Ubuntu 14.04 on Intel or Debian on UltraSparc
    and  Apple  OS  X  El Capitan  on  my  Macbook  Pro.
                Avoiding Micro$oft like the plague.

On 31 July 2016 at 10:16, 'Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd)' drkirkby@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

On 29 July 2016 at 19:30, Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

Ah, this was on UKuWaves, not RSGBTech

So wasn't "reiterating"
Send it anyway

As I wrote in a longer email I posted here, I did write to the RSGB about the lack of quality of articles, especially reviews of antenna analyzers in October 2015, but despite some responses from Elaine, nothing was ever published, and the quality of the reviews remains unchanged.

I had previously (several years ago) written in about the very poor quality of the antenna column. My comments were never published. However, that issue has been dramatically improved by the new author of the antennas column, who I'm pleased to say does have a decent knowledge of antennas.

Saw your image of how you see the online pub - with overlapped text.  There's something very seriously wrong with your PC setup.
Allthough either format may not be favourable to many, I haven't heard anyone else not actually being able to see it properly

As I wrote, I do run an unusual operating system, but I'm not convinced there's anything "very seriously wrong with my PC setup".

I'm running
* Sun Ultra 27 with 4 cores, 8 thread Intel W3580 3.33 GHz Xeon CPU
* 24 GB RAM
* OpenSolaris (2010 edition) - unusual I admit.
* Firefox 29.0.1
* Firefox ePub  plugin.

Whatever the rights and wrong of PDF, it is a format used by a huge number of companies, and just about everyone has a PDF reader. If the RSGB are concerned about copies of PDF files being circulated, they could do something like

1) Put at the bottom a message - Downloaded by G8WRB from IP address 123.456.789.010 on dd/mm/yyyy. Not for redistribution. It would not totally stop redistribution, but people are going to be less likely to distribute a copy electronically to a wide audience.

2) Add a very faint watermark on the page with the call-sign of the person downloading it. displayed.

The IEEE add the IP address and date/time on many downloads.

Dave.