Re: Latest RadCom Plus

Andy G4JNT

Can I reiterate yet again, instead of just sounding-off here, why do you not send your comments to the editors - you may even end up with it printed in the Last Word.

The board do follow this group and ReadCom office are aware of what goes on here, but sending your comments in directly does formalise things a lot more.

Andy  G4JNT

On 29 July 2016 at 18:36, 'Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd)' drkirkby@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

On 29 July 2016 at 09:07, Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

Just in case you haven't seen it, the latest RadCom Plus has a comprehensive article on 10GHz by G0MGX, as well as one or two other excellent articles. :-)

Andy  G4JNT

Admittedly I run a somewhat unusual operating system on my main PC, but this is how your article renders:

http://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/tmp/Screenshot-5.png

I have given up trying to use RadCom Plus. I don't know why the RSGB can't do what every other publisher of material does - put it in a PDF.

Instead, in the print edition, we are treated to yet another review of an antenna analyzer, where not a single known device is measured.  This time is has 11 colour photographs, showing the results when connected to various unknown impedances. Would it take a lot of effort to assemble a range of known impedances from 1% resistors and capacitors?

Anyway, the main thing is the photos look good, the author concludes it useful, and the advertiser is happy.

BTW, my radio club bought a RigExpert AA-600 antenna analyzer. Before connecting it to any electrical device, I checked the N connector, only to find the centre conductor is too far forward to meet the spec of an N connector.

http://www.dhars.org.uk/RigExpert-AA-600/Rig-Expert-AA-600s-N-connector-is-well-out-of-specification.jpg
http://www.dhars.org.uk/RigExpert-AA-600/RigExpert-AA-600-N-connector-fails-to-meet-spec-for-an-N-connector.jpg

With a bit of explanation of what is actually being measured, photos like that are far more revealing than endless photos of a device being reviewed while connected to lots of unknown impedances. With 1% resistors costing less than £0.01, and 1% capacitors only a few tens of pence, it should not be hard to assemble some known devices and measure those.

Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D CEng MIET
Kirkby Microwave Ltd
Registered office: Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Essex, CM3 6DT, UK.
Registered in England and Wales, company number 08914892.
http://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Tel: 07910 441670 / +44 7910 441670 (0900 to 2100 GMT only please)