Re: New Version of GPS Locator Display (GPLOCDIS) PIC Firmware

R Hopkins

Thanks for the feedback John. Glad you found it useful.

Cheers

Roger GW4NOS

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 17:31:59 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

Hi Roger yep all works fine the little prog switches to NMEA (which is handy as the GPS module resets to Motorola when turned off)  and the other is nice and simple to use and will now be my choice of program to use portable for bearings and distance. Thanks for making it and making it available all the best John.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Mon, 11 Jul, 2016 at 23:42, R Hopkins gw4nos@btinternet.com [ukmicrowaves]<ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
Hi John

I hope you (or anyone else for that matter) find some of it useful.

I write my software for my own amusement but sometimes I feel others may find it useful. That's why
I uploaded it. It appears that the one called GPS Utility doesn't work properly in Poland (honest!).
Never worked that one out. But then I'm the first to acknowledge that I'm not great at this stuff.

As they say in south Wales "I'm just a potcher".

Cheers

Roger GW4NOS

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 21:12:09 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

Thanks Roger will have a play with it tomorrow and report back.
73 John

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Mon, 11 Jul, 2016 at 17:43, R Hopkins gw4nos@btinternet.com [ukmicrowaves]<ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
I uploaded some stuff to do with GPS into the file section a few years ago. It included a utility to
switch on the NMEA output on a Jupiter -T GPS and another which tells you your 10 digit locator if
you are walking around with a laptop with a GPS attached. It does a lot more including bearings and
distance to another locator. Sun and moon bearings and setting different output frequencies on a
Ublox GPS. It's called 'GW4NOS GPS programmes' believe it or not.

Roger GW4NOS

On 10 Jul 2016 13:35:58 -0700, you wrote:

Thanks Andy don't suppose you have a version to read Motorola Binary ? as I just can't get mine to output NMEA, been using WinOncore to read the data at the moment.

John

---In ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com, <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote :

There appears to have been quite a few users of this bit of PIC code that takes the NMEA data from a GPS and uses this to calculate and display the LOCator, Lat / Long, Date +_Time plus SOG and COG data contained in the message on a two or four line LCD

The latest version of this code now includes a new Locator calculation algorithm that shows the 10 digit LOC, accurate to about 18m at mid latitudes. It also has compile time flags for NMEA baud rate, since the latest generation of GPS modules tend to now use 9600 baud; also the option of km/hour or miles/hour (there no room to show both). The display appears on a 20 char x 4 line LCD.

Full details in http://www.g4jnt.com/GPLOCDIS.ZIP http://www.g4jnt.com/GPLOCDIS.ZIP which still includes the earlier versions for backwards compatibility. In view of the use of compile time flags this latest version is supplied as .ASM file only - you will need to assemble into a .HEX .

(The high-res locator calculation routine was developed initially to go in my 10GHz portable beacon project, allowing the transmitted Locator to be correct anywhere without having to reprogramme the controller PIC contents every time its location is changed).