Re: Activity Monday Night

Peter <pete-ebs@...>

I'd like to point out that ASCII NMEA messages were only linked to 4800Bd by
a certain number of equip manufacturers as they were operating in the
sailing/autohelm and auto-bridge businesses.
Largely for 'weekend sailors'. E.g. NMEA 1v0-1v5. thereafter it wasn't
fixed.

Professionally, running at 4800 was a pain as it was a bottle neck, many
other data rates were used as standards by Trimble, Ashtech, etc.
'The faster the better' as one got more time to crunch numbers instead of
just reading them in. 9600Bd was much used in the 1990s proceeding to
115200 in the 2010s.

Sometimes one can get serial ports to go even faster to 230400Bd, or just
maybe have to drop down to 57600Bd

See here:-

2 400

the modem speed that every machine came with after 9600 was available...

4 800

!!

9 600

"at last, fast enough!"

14 400

but then came...

19 200

2 x 9 600

28 800

fastest base signal rate on a phone line

38 400

4 x 9 600, popular RS-232 and modem speed

56 000

6 x 9 600, popular modem speed

57 600

popular RS-232 speed