Re: Stand alone JT4G

Andy G4JNT

I haveWin 7 Starter on my HP notebook.   Its a horrible OS for general purpose use, too deliberately cut back.
 But it runs WSJT-10   and  -X OK.

Also have an old Dell latitude notebook ,  Few hundred MHz ish processor  witha mere 500Meg memory !  That runs WSJT-X (slowly) ,  and WSJT10 perfectly well.

On 14 June 2016 at 19:29, g7jtt@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

one of the netbooks with a Intel Atom chip they often run windows 7 starter many used to surf Facebook from the sofa. But I guess you've answered it in that its later than xp so should run the older version but don't suppose it will cope with to much more?

John

On Tuesday, 14 June 2016, 19:20, "Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt@... [ukmicrowaves]" <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

Not what you mean by "cut down"
If they run an OS any later than Win 98, they'll run WSJT - at least the original version

The new WSJT-X under development loads more processing into teh software to allow multiple decoding for some modes.  And that chews up processor power.
But single JT4 decodes hardly taxes things

'jnt

On 14 June 2016 at 19:16, g7jtt@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

You make a good point Andy just looked on Ebay and I'm surprised how cheap they are, what about the cut down laptops/netbooks would one of those run JT ? as they are small enough and consume less power that their larger cousins.

John