Re: UKAC SHF - Some ideas how to get more folks active?

G1DFL

Thanks to those that replied to share ideas on this thread. I'm sure there are lots of other ideas out there.

It wasn't to propose anything BTW, just to survey what folks thought with regards to changes for 2017.  Its largely our SHF UKAC contest and we should be pushing for changes and improvements and discussing them well ahead of the end of 2016 if they are to be proposed and potentially accepted.

Sounds like quite a few GHz folks struggle with the clash of the SHF contest with 6M, like I do.  For sure I know that is putting a lot of folks off getting QRV above 23cm in my club/contest group. At a time when we want more people and more QSO's in the SHF UKAC's.

I think the NAC folks (thanks for your comment Verner) have got this much better arranged than us, maybe we should be vocal with VHF CC (Is our contact route in via John XDY and/or UKuG?).

I'd like to see some re-investigation around wholly aligning the UKAC's (instead of partially) with the NAC calendar in 2017. I think they do:

Band/SectionDay of the month
50 MHzSecond Thursday of the month
70 MHzThird Thursday of the month
144 MHzFirst Tuesday of the month
432 MHzSecond Tuesday of the month
1296 MHzThird Tuesday of the month
2,3 GHz & up
Fourth Tuesday of the month

At least that gives more chance of working EU as well as UK (yes I know its called UKAC).

The 5th week Tuesday, NAC get off - to catch up with those things you may want to do on Tuesdays but you can't with the UKAC system.
Or have a rest from the addiction that is 'Radio Tuesdays'!

:)

Regards...Pete
G1DFL

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 9:36 PM, "Edward Harland g3vpf@... [ukmicrowaves]" <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

Thanks Neil, will give it a try on my Android phone. Interestingly I have just received a message from Vodafone to say the local network in South Dorset will be disrupted over the next few days while it is upgraded. Hopefully that means we will have 4G available very soon.

Ed G3VPF

On Friday, 10 June 2016, 17:58, "m0ghz.david@... [ukmicrowaves]" <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

As one of the few stations that is active on all the SHF bands for the UKACs I find there is too little time to work everybody, especially when 13cm starts late.  The activity on 6cm (narrow band!) in particular is very low and we need to encourage those with equipment to get back on.   Many microwavers have to go portable to operate, evenings proabably makes it difficult for some.

I would favour combining the SHF UKACs with the weekend microwave contests, then we might get more activity.  This would then give me (or Pete) the opportunity to enter the 6m UKAC!

David M0GHZ