MMICs (was Modamps)

Christopher Bartram <cbartram@...>

(The term Modamp has been obsolete for a very long while ...)

As I seem to be the only person on this list to have actually used the VMMK-2203 (and also some other parts within that range) I can offer the potential insight that I've stopped using them!

The devices work well (I used them in my 10GHz transverter boards) , but despite having a great deal of experience working with SMD devices, the chip-scale package is a complete pain to handle! It would be VERY difficult to solder using even a very fine soldering iron. I never succeded (and I use an ERSA soldering station with a 0.1mm bit for working with 0402s). Reflow worked OK - most of the time. Also, the package itself, being a liquid crystal is very fragile., and a vacuum pick-up tool is essential.

I'm not sure if they are still currently manufactured.

Had I continued with the transverter, I planned to replace the VMMKs with a (from memory) RFMD NBB310, even that, though, is a pretty long-in-the-tooth part. However, over the last few months some other devices have begun to appear which look even better, including some from Mini-Circuits, but I've not had time to investigate them.

Vy 73

Chris
GW4DGU