Re: FS: Transco Y Relay

Paul <paul@...>

Hi Al

Follow up to the message I sent a few minutes ago. I also found this in the instructions for the JWM sequencer, "A word of caution related to RF relays that are always in a constant energized state. Most of these relays are not designed to be energized for long periods of time, and will require a good heatsink to dissipate the heat that can build up. Transco “Y” relays for example can be energized for several hours at a time when mounted to an aluminum plate about 12 inches square or so, by ¼ inch to 3/8 inch thick. To provide the best possible heat transfer, use transistor thermal heatsink compound when you mount the relays to the aluminum plate."

Paul G4DCV

On 17-Mar-16 16:47, ALANNOTTAGE@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

Chris made reference to the coil resistance of the relay.  I have an Amphenol relay with a 110VAC coil.  I believe it's R is ~550 ohms.  It's not to hand just now, but I will check it later.  Thanks to Peter for that rule of thumb - I will need to know that too at some stage!

I don't recall which book/mag/internet article I was reading recently, Paul (it could have been the VHF DX manual), but there was a reference to relay heat sinking.  The general thread was that if the relay was energised for RX, it would be a good idea to do so.

Al G0XBV