From: Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt@... [ukmicrowaves]
To: ukmicrowaves@...
Subject: Re: [ukmicrowaves] FS: Transco Y Relay
Sent: Mar 18 '16 12:54

I believe the purpose of the "shading ring" on AC solenoids is to continue the flux - ie effectively keep a current flowing - during the low portion of the sine.  Quite how it does it I don't know, but I'm just delving into memory of many many decades ago.

 It would have to use non linearities in the core material to work though, as harmonics of the AC flux  would have to be present to fill in the gaps

Got me pondering now - having just also remembered shaded pole motors.   I didn't understand them then (1970's) and still don't know exactly what the shorted turn does.

'jnt