Re: FS: Transco Y Relay

Alan G0XBV

Chris made reference to the coil resistance of the relay.  I have an Amphenol relay with a 110VAC coil.  I believe it's R is ~550 ohms.  It's not to hand just now, but I will check it later.  Thanks to Peter for that rule of thumb - I will need to know that too at some stage!

I don't recall which book/mag/internet article I was reading recently, Paul (it could have been the VHF DX manual), but there was a reference to relay heat sinking.  The general thread was that if the relay was energised for RX, it would be a good idea to do so. 

Al G0XBV

-----Original Message-----
To: ukmicrowaves
Sent: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 23:25
Subject: Re: [ukmicrowaves] FS: Transco Y Relay

As the one that bought the Transco from Chris can I say many thanks to eyeryone for all the advice about operating it on DC. It is very much appreciated. With 110V AC coils I had expected to have to put it in the amplifier and move the amplifier relay to a new masthead amp. But if it will work on 50V DC then I'm happy to put the Transco at the masthead.

I gather it's a good idea to heatsink them by bolting the relay to a lump of aluminium?

I have been after a Transco Y relay for some time but used ones (who can afford a new one!) only seem to come up for sale on ebay in the USA with eye watering postage costs.

73 Paul G4DCV

On 16-Mar-16 19:42, 'Dave' g4fre@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:

My 110V AC coiled Y type works fine in my 48V DC amplifier

Dave
G4FRE

Sent: 16 March 2016 19:02
To: ukmicrowaves@...
Subject: Re: [ukmicrowaves] FS: Transco Y Relay

I have successfully used a relay with a 240V AC coil with 100V DC applied in a 2m PA built 40 yrs ago that's still going well. On that basis a supply of around 50V DC might work with 110V AC coils.

John G3XDY

On 16/03/2016 18:51, Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt@... [ukmicrowaves] wrote:
On the subject of its 110VAC coil.    I don't have any AC relays of any type  to test this idea, but has anyone ever made tests on an AC relay to find what its DC pull in / hold on characteristics are?

I don't know if there are any core differences - apart from its being laminated I suspect on the bigger coils, but can they be operated from a constant voltage, or current?

If the requirements end up at reasonable values without the risk of the coil cooking, there are enough SMPSU modules around now with variable output voltage to make use of them.

'jnt

On 16 March 2016 at 18:44, Christopher Bartram cbartram@... [ukmicrowaves] <ukmicrowaves@...> wrote:

The relay has now been sold ...

Chris

--
Christopher Bartram MIET
Christopher Bartram RF Design
Llygad yr Haul
Carno
CAERSWS
Powys SY17 5LE

phone: +44 1686 237732
mobile: +44 7545 094490
email: cbartram@...
URL: www.christopherbartramrfdesign.com

Note: This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Christopher Bartram RF Design reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its network. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of any such entity.

This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
www.avast.com

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7497 / Virus Database: 4542/11823 - Release Date: 03/16/16

Join UKMicrowaves@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.