Re: SSB Masthead preamp

Alan G0XBV

Before you go laying out dosh on this project, Mike, you might want to check this out.

http://www.mecheltron.com/en/product/coaxial-relay-cx531n

From this data, it doesn't look like this a top notch switch for 23 cms.  Look at the isolation figure at 1000Mhz - that's not a whole lot!  There are others from the same stable that are better, and these will typically have shorting contacts that allow for much better isolation...by at least two orders of magnitude!  These will cost proper money as new. If I recall correctly, the CX-520D is such a device.  There are even better types that are much more suited to use above 1GHz.

I'm wondering if your original thoughts re that previous project might not be too far from the truth here too.  Food for thought anyway.

Al G0XBV

-----Original Message-----
From: 'mike' mb.golfmad@... [ukmicrowaves]
To: ukmicrowaves
Sent: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 16:45
Subject: Re: [ukmicrowaves] Re: SSB Masthead preamp

Hi all,
Latest update on my SSB preamp.
On the advice of Steve M0BPQ, I contacted Henry's Radio in the US regarding parts for the CX-531 and although not being able to offer any spares for the bits I needed, they were kind enough to offer me a new relay at a very attractive price. way-hay!!  Alan Melia has also been extremely helpful, so I think I have a result on the tinplate box too..
Now if I can now get an upgrade on the actual device and get the NF below 0.5dB...

Thanks to all who offered advice and ideas.

Further to Peter GM4BYF's posting, boy am I lucky someone has his in bits too...Peter can I contact you off reflector? I have some odd work on the link between the 2 relays.. it might be a bit of DIY...would be nice to compare..

Regards

Mike G6TRM