Re: 10GHz World Record

Brian Howie <brian@...>

In message <00b201d02eaf$0ce40910$26ac1b30$@co.uk>, "'Ian White' gm3sek@... [ukmicrowaves]" <ukmicrowaves@...> writes
GW4DGU wrote:

It's worth noting that there seems to be an unobstructed oversea
great-circle path from Southerness, on the Solway, to the northern end
of Tenerife. Several years ago, I was trying to generate interest in EA8
for tests on 10GHz, but at that time, despite some interest, EAs weren't
licenced for the band, and, understandably, nobody wanted to try. Now
there is both interest and activity on the Canaries, the potential
exists for a GM-EA8 world record ...
West of Southerness the path becomes blocked by the Isle of Man, but it resumes again on the eastern shore of Luce Bay, close to where the historic 10GHz QSOs were made to St David's Head. This more westerly path to EA8 is actually better than the easterly path because it includes the entire north shore of Tenerife and most of the north shore of Gran Canaria too.

From the home QTH, I have all but the last 5km...
I wrote to GM3OXX asking about the world record about a year ago. I wanted to know where the Portpatrick end was exactly. I had originally got the impression it was from Auchenmalg Bay.

It was done on 10mW with fairly small dishes. They used no talk-back as 2m wouldn't work over the path. With a bit more power and SSB EA8 would be workable on 10GHz

He sent me some pictures which I've put on flikr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29874435@N04/sets/72157647987609173/

73 Brian GM4DIJ

--
Brian Howie