Re: 10GHz World Record

Christopher Bartram <cbartram@...>

Hello Roger

It depends on the evidence you need ... Certainly, surface ducts occur in the Irish Sea - don't forget the 500km WB QSO between GM and Cornwall back in the '70s. Also, much of the original (WW2) European work on microwave propagation over the sea took place in the Irish Sea basin, and that certainly showed the presence of both surface and elevated ducts.

Whether the path to EA8 would be via a surface (maritime evaporation) duct is a moot point. I suspect that an elevated duct would be more likely, and I'd be interested to hear from someone with professional knowledge of the subject. Certainly, EA8 - GM tropo QSOs have been made at VHF.

My experience with the EA8/CT3/CU paths from my old IO71 QTH was that there were quite regular openings covering up to at least 432 (at that time, AFAIK, there was no legal 1.3GHz activity from EA) and that at times signals were very strong indeed - at times probably well below free-space values. I was a few 10s of km inland, and I strongly suspect that on these occasions propagation would have been via an elevated duct. Stations in more coastal locations experienced propagation to the Atlantic Islands more regularly.

Vy 73

Chris
GW4DGU
--
Christopher Bartram MIET
Christopher Bartram RF Design

phone: +44 1686 237732
mobile: +44 7545 094490
email: cbartram@...

Note: This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Christopher Bartram RF Design reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its network. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of any such entity.