Maestro A2200 GPS Module

Andy G4JNT

No one commented, so I assume no one else has tried them so far.

I got a couple of the A2200 modules and tested them out.
Unfortunately, unlike many GPS receivers they don't fire up straight
after switch on. They have an on/off pin that has to be strobed in
order to switch on - so only useful when used in conjunction with a
uController.

However, once strobed on, they start delivering NMEA 4800 baud data
and can achieve lockup from a completely freezing-cold start in 30
seconds. After that, warm start is a second or two. NMEA data at
3.3V logic levels so can go straight to a uController running at 5V,
but the PPS is only at 1.8V - which quite isn't so useful. An NPN and
using inverted PPS solves that one.

However, for the price and ready availalbility from Farnell, they're very good..

They 'claim' to have an anti-jam capability against CW jammers -
which I'm very sceptical about. Haven't done any testing yet, but
that claim certainly needs investigating.

Andy
G4JNT

On 13 December 2013 13:50, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@gmail.com> wrote:
Has anyone used the MAESTRO WIRELESS SOLUTIONS - A2200A - GPS MODULE
available from Farnell for the rather low price of £10.12 ( they're
£14 from RS)
http://uk.farnell.com/maestro-wireless-solutions/a2200a/gps-module-rom-based-mini-outline/dp/2281694

It ticks all the easy-to-use boxes: 4800 baud NMEA by default , 3.3V
operation, separate antenna voltage feed pin that allows for 5V
powered antennas.
I've ordered a couple on spec. Will report

Andy
G4JNT