GX3RCM (former GB4FUN) at Finningley Microwaves this weekend

Peter Day <microwaves@...>

Just a small "press release" folks .....

Sheffield Amateur Radio Club will be showing its recently acquired communications trailer (GX3 Radio Communications Module) at the Finningley Microwave Round Table this Saturday. While it is largely an HF-VHF/-D Star orientated vehicle, I will be setting up my portable 20 watt 23cm station in it on Saturday, hopefully using one of the trailer's integral masts. The vehicle is well worth a look now that Sheffield ARC have taken it over from the RSGB. We think we are doing a good job with it, primarily aiming it at the general public rather than the amateur radio "deserved" fraternity, but the Finningley venue will be it's first showing to the intelligentsia of the AR world ... the microwavers!

If you can't come along, please look for us on 23cm ssb/cw. We will be calling on 1296.220 for much of the day, using a 35 el yagi at around 20 feet and a 20W transverter. Hopefully we'll be active from around 1030 until 4pm. I don't expect we will be online using KST so we will be calling CQ a lot! The LOC of the station is IO93NN.

The nanowave (formerly lightwaves) group has also intimated that it will do something from the trailer during the day. We will be showing a number of videos on the large screen inside the vehicle. Other microwavers and interested attendees are warmly invited to come over for a look around and make suggestions as to how SARC could use the trailer to encourage VHF and up activity in the UK. For example our D Star repeater could even be used as talkback instead of 2m and KST! It would allow playback of the received signal for antenna pointng, just like we used to do in the old days of radio talkback. Don't knock until you've tried it :-)

To date, GX3RCM has attended events such as LAMFEST and several local Sheffield summer festivals and has aroused a tremendous amount of interest among the public.

Unlike a recent show we attended in Sheffield, we will NOT be streaming this event down our live channel at BATC.

The next amateur radio event we attend will be the RSGB Hamfest at Newark.... another great opportunity to call in and have a look around the trailer.

73 and hope to see or hear you on Saturday..

Peter, G3PHO

Secretary: Sheffield Amateur Radio Club