Re: elevation systems

Steve Bunting M0BPQ

Thanks for the comments received on and off list. There are some nice options to look at.

My system will be used infrequently and will be assembled FD style each time, so simplicity is most important to me. I don't plan to use a huge antenna, so accuracy is not a real issue. At the moment I am favouring simple manual control, but this could be an interesting project for my new raspberry pi in the future. I have a lot to learn to make that happen though!

Thanks again for your comments and perhaps I'll be on EME this autumn. He says boldly….

73
Steve
M0BPQ

--- In ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com, willis.mj@... wrote:

Steve,

A better solution is to use an accelerometer chip and a micro controller. An arduino nano and accelerometer (e.g. ADXL345) should be under £30 from ebay or sparkfun. It just needs a simple c program using the library that comes with the arduino is all you need to get that data back to your PC or to a meter or LED or LCD display.

http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/triple-axis-accelerometer-breakout-adxl362-p-1145.html

or if you don't want to program, something really simple using the ADXL335 will give you a voltage for each axis. These are in packages that are more difficult to deal with but you can get one mounted on a board http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/lilypad-accelerometer-adxl335-p-468.html for £15.

Accelerometers measure the direction of acceleration - the static acceleration due to gravity for example. Generally if you attach one to a dish it will be able give you the elevation angle. Accuracy is generally very good.

I am not sure why the Lidl units are still sought after with such nice simple chips available.

Mike

--- In ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com, "scjb86" <steve@> wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am building an elevation rotator using a linear actuator and need to find a way to feedback the elevation angle. I am looking to buy a digital inclinometer to do the job, so I wonder if anyone knows of a suitable level that I can hack at? There are lots of references to LIDL ones on the web, but they don't seem to be available anymore.

Or is there a more elegant way of doing things these days?

Thanks
Steve
M0BPQ