Re: VNA Cal Kit

Roger Ray

I agree with most of the comments. All you really need is good 50 ohm load, and a short that is a good short. The main thing is to know that load is good, and a check that it has not changed. The important bit is to put it in a box. Dosn't have to be a fancy wooden box, just so long as you keep it separate. Mainly to stop yourself using it for that quick check on that 5W TX!
I can't quite see the built a load with resistors, when you can pick up a good sma or N load for a couple of quid on ebay or a radio rally

Some good response from a 'blank' posting. Must do that again ..not.
Roger

--- In ukmicrowaves@..., Geoff Blake <geoff@...> wrote:

On 17 March 2011 00:43, Christopher Bartram <cbartram@...> wrote:

[Snip]
``

My homemade 'standards' are more than good enough to evaluate my work
designs
to 6GHz using my 8753 net. an., and I've never had a conflict with a
client.
For my own use I've used the same 'standards' to calibrate my wonderful old
clunker 8410 VNA system and used it very successfully, albeit with quite a
lot
of manual calculation to about 15GHz.

There's a lot of b******s talked about VNA cal. kits. Unless you actually
_need_ National Standards traceable equipment, which by definition for
amateur
radio, you don't, make your own! If there is sufficient interest, I'll
write
something up for Scatterpoint.

Vy 73

Chris
GW4DGU

Hi Chris, I for one would be very interested in your thoughts and practice.
Personally, I love a 50 Ohm sliding load, only because I have one :-)

Geoff G8GNZ