Re: Alternative talkback

Richard <richard.bown@...>

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 08:25:27 +0100
Grant Hodgson <grant@ghengineering.co.uk> wrote:

Richard

At risk of opening this wound even further, I have to respectfully
disagree about problems with 2m. I've lived in the same house for 11
years - when I bought it the back windows overlooked a ploughed field.
Now there are over 400 houses - I knew about that when I bought the
house, and that's not the problem. BUT - I can see at least 18 wireless
access points, and the noise level on 2m has shot up enormously. It
used to be as quiet as a remote hill-top, now there is hash all over the
band, level and frequency dependent on which way the 5 ele beam is pointing.

I suspect that the noise is coming from a number of sources - TVs, Wiis,
routers, PCs etc. 2m can be very difficult in suburban areas, even
worse in urban areas.

I accept that KST is not perfect, and having 2 talkback systems is not
ideal, but 2m is not a viable option for some anymore.

regards

Grant G8UBN
That is not an excuse Grant for a poor antenna system, I'm sitting 600 asl
overlooking several major housing estates and three large industrial estates.
They do not produce hash all over the band, like most interfering sources you
will have the odd patch of broadband noise , but the majority of interfering
sources will produce fairly clean but numerous signals.
Which you can work in between.
Furthermore , the interfering sources will be in given directions, they ARE NOT
360 degs around you.
You like many others are using the excuse of a poor antenna to use the secret
squirrel mode.
KST is an abortion of unfair operating.
If you call CQ you are making an un-discriminating call for anyone to answer.
KST is work your mates and ignore the rest.
I like many others notice the tendency on the east cost to use poor antennas
as the majority of contacts are to the east over a sea path, dont bother to put
them very high, it doesn't matter a lot with coastal ducting.
So when it comes to working the rest of the UK their antenna systems are not up
to the required gain to work a reasonable distance. That includes height gain.
The consequence is instead of using a proper antenna system, they all go into
secret squirrel mode on KST.
IMO KST in a contest is cheating.

Also consider the fact that portable stations can easily exceed 450 kms working
range on 2 mtrs with 2 wavelength boom antenna and 50 W, they have no need or
reason to go into cheat mode.

If you were to put up a decent antenna with a narrow beamwidth you would be
able to work what you were able to before the houses were built.

You will also find that the fixed stations that take microwave operating
seriously from home are using good antenna systems and running enough power for
you to hear them.
I use to import and sell good quality antennas from Sweden, I'm very aware of
the stupid attitude of many amateurs who will go and spend £500 + on a
transceiver, yet winge and only want to spend £30 or less on antennas.

I've given antennas to people who used to go out portable with just a HB9CV
antenna, which just demonstrates the fact.

Since the morse test was abolished to get on the HF bands there has been the
tendency to use 2 mtrs as a local chat band. It has much more potential than
that.
Most with a little bit of effort can push their normal working range from home,
even from a fair location to 300 kms +.
Most of the stations that complain they can't hear anything have low gain
antennas and then throw halve the signal away in poor quality coax.

Its like the bleating you hear about Galileo will kill 23 cms, utter crap you
work around it ! You dont just chuck the towel in because it gets a little
harder, WIFI is just being used as an excuse.
The majority of hash and sprogs on 2 mtrs comes from plasma screened TVs and
devices using switching power supplies and cable installations.
Unless there is a major sporting event on a Sunday afternoon in the summer,
most TVs will not be switched on during the normal contest and activity periods.

So you cant use that excuse.

Instead of winging that you can use 2 mtr talkback and have to use KST, try
sorting your systems out first.
You will not only find you CAN use 2 mtrs for TB but you will start to find
stations calling CQ now and again.

Amateur Radio in this country is taken as a joke, what happened to self
training and improvement. Look at the countries where AR is taken seriously, ie
most of the rest of Europe and compare it to here.
The microwave end of the spectrum requires more technical competence to
operate, why not apply the same level of competence to the TB requirement,
instead of taking the easy cop out.

You can call and call on 144.175 towards to south east in a contest now, KST
has killed that totally. And please don't use the excuse the I can't be heard in
the SE on 3 cms, since a row of trees were removed I can work EAT .

I wont shut up, I passionately believes in keeping 2 mtrs alive, especially the
section below 144.4 MHz.

--

Best wishes / 73
Richard Bown

Ham Call G8JVM . OS Fedora FC13 x86_64 on a Dual core AMD Athlon 4400, 8 GB RAM
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39 43.4 N LONG. 2 28 11.8 W ( degs mins secs)
QRV HF + VHF Microwave 23 cms,13 cms,6 cms & 3 cms