*From:* G3XDY <g3xdy@btinternet.com>
*To:* ukmicrowaves@yahoogroups.com
*Sent:* Sat, March 27, 2010 8:18:14 PM
*Subject:* Re: [ukmicrowaves] N connector

Hi Liviu
A good N type should be capable of handling 1kW so long as the VSWR is low and the plug and socket are in good condition. Be aware that recently manufactured cheap commercial N types may use polypropylene insulation instead of PTFE, and they will melt at high powers.
Worn N types may have poor female centre contact pressure, leading to local hot spots that can destroy the connector. Unused "Precision N" female connectors may be worth looking for - they usually have 6 or 8 gold plated splines on the female connector inner and should exhibit lower contact resistance.
73
John G3XDY