From: G3XDY
To: ukmicrowaves@...
Sent: Sat, March 27, 2010 8:18:14 PM
Subject: Re: [ukmicrowaves] N connector

Hi Liviu

A good N type should be capable of handling 1kW so long as the VSWR is low and the plug and socket are in good condition. Be aware that recently manufactured cheap commercial N types may use polypropylene insulation instead of PTFE, and they will melt at high powers.

Worn N types may have poor female centre contact pressure, leading to local hot spots that can destroy the connector. Unused "Precision N" female connectors may be worth looking for - they usually have 6 or 8 gold plated splines on the female connector inner and should exhibit lower contact resistance.

73

John G3XDY