RS Yesterday

John Quarmby

One thing I noted in yesterday evening's good RS opening was the way that dog-leg paths that normally don't seem to work were possible. I heard DJ5BV (JO30) consistently on a heading of about 165 degrees, he would have been beaming south of West so the path had a near right angle reflection, similarly F6APE in IN97 (west south west of the scatter point) was worked on the same heading. I also had a good backscatter contact with Neil G4BRK. Signals were not huge, indicating that the losses were higher than on the more direct paths, but it demonstrates that RS will work over significant distances in any direction if the storm is sufficiently intense, regardless of the path geometry.

73

John G3XDY