Re: dish building

Chris Ruddy MM0KOS

HI all

Thanks to all who made comments and replied to my posting, here
goes for the replies, dont take them the wrong way, im glad you made
comments as it threw new ideas on the table

Mike- I dont see why not to have a 4 or 6m dish in GM land, why not,
there was a 6m dish here before but not sure if it was used or who
has it now, the whole point of the dish is the challenge of building
and using it with others local to me who are also interested in
amateur radio and have more of a sound knowledge than me in the
microwave bands and would like to have the use of it and for me to
learn a bit more in the hobby. Maybe our project is a bit on the big
side but i can say i tried and if i fail, i fail and if i succeed
then lets see what we can do with it on EME as it would be too
narrow for tropo, but we can always look at the 4x 35 ele for tropo.
On the portable side im looking at designing it so the dish can be
halved then folded again at the outer edge to make it smaller in the
transport position

John and Chris- Puchasing a kit sounds too easy, i like to build
things and see them working, dont get me wrong ive had my failures
like probably most in this group wether it be with building
amplifiers or circuits we hope will work at the end and for some
strange or unexpected reason something goes horribly wrong but we
live to tell the tale and try again. Or we could go for the ready
made black box which is a no no for me

Simon- The 1.8m dish for 500eu, maybe a bit on the steep side,
family comes first in my house ( with my YL, you would agree with
that comment HI). I have 2x 1,8m dishes here 1 has full elevation
and rotation just needs setup in the garden and cant get the time to
do it sadly but i will get round to it some day after i complete the
homebrew amplifier for 23cm and winter that started last year has
gone

Dave- 4m dish with stressed mesh seems maybe a good idea and
strongly taken on board with taking into conciderations from
everyone about the weight of the fibreglass structure. I have a
mount that would support a 4m dish here in the garden but its
getting round to getting the strimmer round the weeds to see if its
still there or the neighbours have scrapped it, I have nearly enough
13mm square section ally that could be used for the ribs and a
friend who could do the neccessary welding to do any othere bits we
need and can get parts milled out also. Mesh size would be the only
problem when getting to the 10ghz side of things, maybe a double
layer of fine mesh?

73 for now Chris

Thanks again