Topics

"Speyerbach" scenario

Peter Godden

Hi Nick,
            getting ready to play this one for the first time and realised there is no number of turns specified.
I know the onus is on the French to attack and defeat the Imperialists early, but is there a limit to the number of turns for this battle?

Cheers,
            Peter.

Nick Dorrell

Hi Peter,

Most scenarios don't have a specific number of turns to play but you should be able to fight them to a finish, i.e. one side or the other's army morale breaks, in a reasonable gaming session. If this is your first game you might need a bit longer as you get used to the rules but you should be able to fight Speyerbach in 3 hours play. I think experienced players would play this in less than that time.

Can I ask how much time you will have to play?

Nick

From: TwilightSK@groups.io <TwilightSK@groups.io> on behalf of Peter Godden <peter.godden649@...>
Sent: 29 April 2020 00:36
To: TwilightSK@groups.io <TwilightSK@groups.io>
Subject: [TwilightSK] "Speyerbach" scenario

Hi Nick,
            getting ready to play this one for the first time and realised there is no number of turns specified.
I know the onus is on the French to attack and defeat the Imperialists early, but is there a limit to the number of turns for this battle?

Cheers,
            Peter.

Peter Godden

Thanks for the reply Nick,
                                         we haven't got any concerns about real time as the table's set, troops deployed and rosters printed. 
If the game takes longer than the evening session, (3-4 hrs), we've allocated, then we'll just finish it at our next fortnightly meeting. We usually swap sides and replay historical scenarios, as it seems a pity not to take full advantage of the effort expended and it gives me enough time to paint the additional troops needed for the next larger scenario, which from memory is either Hochstadt, or Cassano. We'll get to Malplaquet one day!

Cheers,
            Peter.

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 18:37, Nick Dorrell <hwiccee@...> wrote:
Hi Peter,

Most scenarios don't have a specific number of turns to play but you should be able to fight them to a finish, i.e. one side or the other's army morale breaks, in a reasonable gaming session. If this is your first game you might need a bit longer as you get used to the rules but you should be able to fight Speyerbach in 3 hours play. I think experienced players would play this in less than that time.

Nick

From: TwilightSK@groups.io <TwilightSK@groups.io> on behalf of Peter Godden <peter.godden649@...>

Hi Nick,

Cheers,
            Peter.

Nick Dorrell

Peter,

As you will know you can never be sure with 1st games but 3 to 4 hours should be easily enough time to finish the game and certainly the Imperialist player should claim victory if there is no result after that time. 

It is certainly a good idea to swap sides and replay any scenario & I would hope that would go a lot quicker than the 1st run through. Perhaps you could let us know how things go? Some photos maybe?

Good luck on the painting and I hope you will be able to try larger battles in the future.

All the best,

Nick

Sent: 29 April 2020 13:49
Subject: Re: [TwilightSK] "Speyerbach" scenario

Thanks for the reply Nick,
                                         we haven't got any concerns about real time as the table's set, troops deployed and rosters printed. 
If the game takes longer than the evening session, (3-4 hrs), we've allocated, then we'll just finish it at our next fortnightly meeting. We usually swap sides and replay historical scenarios, as it seems a pity not to take full advantage of the effort expended and it gives me enough time to paint the additional troops needed for the next larger scenario, which from memory is either Hochstadt, or Cassano. We'll get to Malplaquet one day!

Cheers,
            Peter.

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 18:37, Nick Dorrell <hwiccee@...> wrote:
Hi Peter,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Cheers,
            Peter.