Topics

Question re "Hochstadt" scenario

Peter Godden

Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can explain where I'm going wrong with the Imperialist deployment for the Hochstadt scenario.The frontage of the red deployment box around Blindheim and Unterglau cannot accommodate the 8 units specified to be in the Imperialist front line, if the units are deployed in line formation.

I assume, given the proximity of the French detached command, that the Imperialists wouldn't be in march column.
Also, given the Imperialist OOB is described in Left and Right wings with 1st and 2nd lines identified, I can't see how the army should be historically deployed in this limited front, without having one wing behind the other...Help!

Cheers,
            Peter.

Nick Dorrell

Hi Peter,

Yes I think we need some additional notes here.

The idea is that the Imperialists are partly off table at the start and parts of the Left will be off table at the start of the game. So the French U (d'Usson) detachment are deployed on a frontage of about 16BW but strung out and the Imperialists are facing them on a similar frontage.

So move on the missing units as the Imperialists advance. I guess you could also add a few inches at the bottom to get the missing units on table from the start.

I hope that helps,

Nick

    I'm hoping someone can explain where I'm going wrong with the Imperialist deployment for the Hochstadt scenario.The frontage of the red deployment box around Blindheim and Unterglau cannot accommodate the 8 units specified to be in the Imperialist front line, if the units are deployed in line formation.

I assume, given the proximity of the French detached command, that the Imperialists wouldn't be in march column.
Also, given the Imperialist OOB is described in Left and Right wings with 1st and 2nd lines identified, I can't see how the army should be historically deployed in this limited front, without having one wing behind the other...Help!

Cheers,
            Peter.

Peter Godden

Thanks Nick,
                    that clears things up. I'll form the Imperialist right on Unterglau and pack them in as we go forward

Cheers,
            Peter

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 at 00:03, Nick Dorrell <hwiccee@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Nick,
            the Imperialist deployment proved not to be a major issue ...
- as the French player I maneuvered d'Usson's detachment onto the left bank of the Nebel, contested the bridges and awaited the arrival of the Elector and Villars. As luck would have it, they arrived at the first opportunity and that left the Imperialists in an untenable position.

Next week we're changing roles ... so we'll see how that goes!

Cheers,
            Peter.

Nick Dorrell

Peter,

That is good to know. Did you by any chance take any photos?

It sounds like you did the best thing and it paid off.

I look forward to hearing how the 2nd battle goes and whether your opponent can be equally successful. Also hopefully there might be the possibility of some photos 🙂

All the best,

Nick

            the Imperialist deployment proved not to be a major issue ...
- as the French player I maneuvered d'Usson's detachment onto the left bank of the Nebel, contested the bridges and awaited the arrival of the Elector and Villars. As luck would have it, they arrived at the first opportunity and that left the Imperialists in an untenable position.

Next week we're changing roles ... so we'll see how that goes!

Cheers,
            Peter.

Peter Godden

I can just about master these emails ... but that stretches my capabilities. I'll see if my more technologically skilled opponent can be prevailed upon.
I'm sure that if I'm losing he'll be willing...

Peter.

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 at 18:45, Nick Dorrell <hwiccee@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes I have the same problem 🙁 Nevermind just have a good game, photos will be a bonus 🙂