Topics

Failure to move into contact

N C

Hi all,
In the latest TDR videos there is an example of a cavalry unit failing it's test to move into contact. The unit was then moved and halted short of the intended target.
I've had a look through the rules and I can't see the specifics of this. At what distance from the target does the charging unit halt, and does it differ according to the ranges of the weapons of that target?
Thanks,
Neal

Nick Dorrell

Hi Neal,

This is from page 15 'A Condition' but it could be clearer & indeed I clarified it in the Soldier Kings rules.

In essence with Action Tests the unit move to the point it would need to test and then if it fails the test it stops there. Obviously if you are testing to say cross a stream this will be when the unit tries to enter the stream. It is the same idea with moving to contact, see below. If say the unit wants to it could move straight ahead for part of it's move then try to wheel for the rest. In this case it would move to the point it tries to wheel and would be there if it fails.

In the case of contact the unit will move up to just before contact and test at that point. So if it fails it will be just in front of the target & in range of anything that can fire. The exact distance away is not important but in practice enough of a gap to show there is no contact is fine. Also in practice it often doesn't matter if you do the movement before or after you take the action Test. As this was a solo game I just moved it after the roll because I 'knew' what I was trying to do. If I was playing with others I normally state what I am trying to do and roll before movement if it is something straight forward like crossing the stream or moving into contact. If I am doing something more open to interpretation, like for example the moving forward then wheeling later in the move, I would move the unit to the point it starts to wheel to make it clear where they will be at that point.

I hope that makes sense.

Nick

N C

Yep, that's fine Nick. Thanks for the quick repsonse.
Cheres
Neal