Trollope and His Contemporaries TrollopeAndHisContemporaries@groups.io
Group DescriptionTrollopeAndHisContemporaries is a listserv group where people are invited to discuss Trollope's work and that of his 19th century contemporaries. We define the period generously from 1800-post1918, and cover all countries. We began in 1995 on Elizabeth Thompson's listserv at Majordomo and were founded as a separate group which had a dual focus by Michael Powe in Fall 1997. Our banner heading is George Hicks's painting, The General Post Office, One Minute to Six" (1860).
Donald Pleasence as Mr Harding from the BBC 1983 Barchester Chronicles.
- Beginning April 15th: Paul Scott's The Jewel in the Crown -- together with if you like the 1983 Ken Taylor BBC Jewel in the Crown.
- Then Trollope's Ayala's Angel
- We are at the same time (Jan-June) watching the 1974 Pallisers series, one episode per week, to finish probably sometime in June
- Our summer book will be E.M. Forster's Howard's End, and we invite everyone to watch either or both film adaptations: 1992 Merchant-Ivory-Jhabvala and/or 2018 Lonergan's BBC 4 part serial.
Movies: 19th century books on and film adaptations and historical movies set in or about our very long 19th century, including but not limited to the film adaptations of any and historical novels and Victorian and neo-Victorian novels (so Downton Abbey is part of our terrain plus many Mann Booker books).
- 205 Members
- 32,604 Topics, Last Post:
- Started on
- All subscribers can post to the group.
- Posts to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Posts from new users require approval from the moderators.
- Messages are set to reply to group.
- Subscriptions to this group require approval from the moderators.
- Archives are visible to anyone.
- Wiki is visible to subscribers only.
- Members can edit their posts.
- Members can set their subscriptions to no email.