Trollope and His Contemporaries TrollopeAndHisContemporaries@groups.ioTrollopeAndHisContemporaries is a listserv group where people are invited to discuss Trollope's work and that of his 19th century contemporaries. We define the period generously from 1800-post1918, and cover all countries. We began in 1995 on Elizabeth Thompson's listserv at Majordomo and were founded as a separate group which had a dual focus by Michael Powe in Fall 1997. Our banner heading is George Hicks's painting, The General Post Office, One Minute to Six" (1860).
Donald Pleasence as Mr Harding from the BBC 1983 Barchester Chronicles.
- The Last Chronicle of Barset --
- Then Hugo's Notre Dame de Paris to be followed by Trollope's La Vendee.
- Then Arnold Bennett's Old Wives Tales
- Then a novel by Trollope: Orley Farm
- Then Tayeb Saleh's Season of the Migration to the North
- Future possibilities: Oliphant's Ladies Lindores; Hugo's Les Miserables (we tried this many years ago but we now have Andrew Davies' film adaptation, David Bellos's book and new editions to help us through), not to omit an audiobook CD reading by David Case; Scott's Regauntlet; Disraeli's Coningsby; Gaskell's My Lady Ludlow and/or Life of Charlotte Bronte; neo-Victorian historical novels; Jane Austen's Mansfield Park. For post-colonialist choices: Flora Annie Steel's The Face Upon the Waters; EM Forster's Passage to India; George Orwell's Burmese Days ; JG Farrell's Seige of Krishnapur; ; Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart
- 232 Members
- 35,714 Topics, Last Post:
- Started on
Group Email Addresses
- All members can post to the group.
- Posts to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Posts from new users require approval from the moderators.
- Messages are set to reply to group.
- Subscriptions to this group require approval from the moderators.
- Archive is visible to anyone.
- Wiki is visible to members only.
- Members can edit their messages.
- Members can set their subscriptions to no email.