Trollope and His Contemporaries TrollopeAndHisContemporaries@groups.io
Group DescriptionTrollopeAndHisContemporaries is a listserv group where people are invited to discuss Trollope's work and that of his 19th century contemporaries. We define the period generously from 1800-post1918, and cover all countries. We began in 1995 on Elizabeth Thompson's listserv at Majordomo and were founded as a separate group which had a dual focus by Michael Powe in Fall 1997. Our banner heading is George Hicks's painting, The General Post Office, One Minute to Six" (1860).
Donald Pleasence as Mr Harding from the BBC 1983 Barchester Chronicles.
- We are reading Trollope's Miss Mackenzie. We are then going to read three of Forster's lesser known novels, Where Angels Fear to Tread, the Longest Journey and Maurice. The first and third have excellent film adaptations
- Then Trollope's Lord Palmerston (and maybe a good biography to go with it), and then Last Chronicle of Barset --
- Then Hugo's Notre Dame de Paris and with a novel inbetween by another author (Trollope's La Vendee and/or a Margaret Oliphant?) in summer 2020 we will again tackle Hugo's Les Miserables
- 218 Members
- 34,520 Topics, Last Post:
- Started on
- All subscribers can post to the group.
- Posts to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Posts from new users require approval from the moderators.
- Messages are set to reply to group.
- Subscriptions to this group require approval from the moderators.
- Archives are visible to anyone.
- Wiki is visible to subscribers only.
- Members can edit their messages.
- Members can set their subscriptions to no email.