Jun 12 +++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 51, June 12, 2019.

David Dillard

Web Design Update: June 12, 2019
1 post by 1 author
image.png
image.png

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 51, June 12, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 51 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: COLOR
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: HTML.
07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
08: JAVASCRIPT.
09: MISCELLANEOUS.
10: TYPOGRAPHY.
11: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Target Size and 2.5.5
By Adrian Roselli.
"Regardless of what accessibility conformance level you target, try to
ensure that interactive controls are at least 44 by 44 pixels in size.
Links in blocks of text are exempt…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2019/06/target-size-and-2-5-5.html

Indicating Focus to Improve Accessibility
By Hidde de Vries.
"It's a common, but fairly easy-to-fix accessibility issue: lack of
indicating focus. In this post I will explain what we mean by focus
and show you how focus outlines make your site easier to use…"
https://hiddedevries.nl/en/blog/2019-06-06-indicating-focus-to-improve-accessibility

Selfish Accessibility (Video)
By Adrian Roselli.
"We can all pretend that we're helping others by making web sites and
software accessible, but we are really making them better for our
future selves…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O5b529V96g

Keep it Simple
By Andy Bell.
"One thing that is often forgotten about accessibility is that keeping
things simple and utilising semantic HTML gets you most of the way
towards providing a fully accessible experience for everyone…"
https://andy-bell.design/wrote/keep-it-simple/

Form Accessibility: A Practical Guide
By Jimmy Somsanith.
"How to make a form accessible?…"
https://itnext.io/form-accessibility-a-practical-guide-4062b7e2dd14

The Anatomy of Accessible Forms: The Problem with Placeholders
By Raghavendra Peri.
"…In part one of the series on accessible forms, we will see why using
a placeholder is not great from the accessibility standpoint and how
to use a placeholder attribute successfully…"
https://www.deque.com/blog/accessible-forms-the-problem-with-placeholders/

Understanding SC 3.1.1 Language of Page
By Raghavendra Satish Peri.
"This success criterion requires that each web page of a site has its
default human language programmatically defined…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/understanding-sc-3-1-1-language-of-page/

As Summer Approaches, the SDNY Once Again Provides Hope for Businesses
Exhausted by Repeated Website Accessibility Lawsuits
By Joshua A. Stein and Shira M. Blank.
"While decided on multiple grounds, the Court's decision is primarily
based on mootness, providing businesses who have already taken the
necessary steps to comply with the Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines (WCAG) at Levels A and AA, and to also maintain compliance
going forward, with a potential blueprint to defeat 'secondary strike'
lawsuits brought in the SDNY…"
https://www.natlawreview.com/article/summer-approaches-sdny-once-again-provides-hope-businesses-exhausted-repeated

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Semantically Identifying a Font Icon with role="img"
By W3C Accessibility Guidelines Working Group.
"The objective of this technique is to show how to semantically
identify an element that uses a font file for icons. When a user
overrides font-family these icons typically disappear unless there is
a means to identify them. The point is to provide a technique to
differentiate icon fonts from general font (text) usage…"
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/aria/ARIA24

The CSS background-image Property as an Anti-Pattern
By Andrew Welch.
"The CSS back­ground-image property allowed us to do some amaz­ing
things, but in most cases, it's time to leave it behind…"
https://nystudio107.com/blog/the-css-background-image-property-as-an-anti-pattern

Test Your Specificity Chops
By Estelle Weyl.
"What is the specificity of the following selectors…"
https://estelle.github.io/CSS/selectors/exercises/specificity.html

The CSS Mindset
By Michelle Barker.
"…Other programming languages often work in controlled environments,
like servers. They expect certain conditions to be true at all times,
and can therefore be understood as concrete instructions as to how a
program should execute. CSS on the other hand works in a place that
can never be fully controlled, so it has to be flexible by default…"
https://mxb.dev/blog/the-css-mindset/

+03: COLOR

Oddities in Color Perception
By Alastair Campbell.
"I've seen a few posts/tweets recently highlighting apparent issues in
the colour-contrast testing for WCAG (Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines)…"
https://alastairc.uk/2019/04/oddities-in-color-perception/

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Why User Interviews Fail
By Maria Rosala.
"User interviews are often used for the wrong purpose, they're not
planned or analyzed properly, and stakeholders don't see the value in
doing them."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/why-user-interviews-fail/

+05: EVENTS.

Introduction to TPG's Free Accessibility Testing Tool: ARC Toolkit
June 20, 2019.
Online
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/6715596580500/WN_euxVglp7TYKiL8l7rzCyng

ICT Accessibility Testing Symposium
October 1-2, 2019.
Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
https://2019ict.org/

Smashing Magazine Conference
October 15-16, 2019.
New York City, New York, U.S.A.
https://smashingconf.com/ny-2019/

New York City UX Conference
October 12-18, 2019, U.S.A.
New York, New York, U.S.A.
https://www.nngroup.com/training/new-york-city/

World Usability Congress
October 16-17, 2019.
Graz, Austria
https://worldusabilitycongress.com/

Disability Rights Advocates New York Gala
October 21, 2019.
New York, New York, U.S.A.
https://dralegal.org/dras-2019-nyc-gala/

#a11yTOConf
October 24-25, 2019.
Toronto, Canada
https://conf.a11yto.com/

+06: HTML.

The Problem with Web Components
By Adam Silver.
"…It's possible-and certainly my hope-that web components will improve
over time and these issues will be resolved. But for now, I'm holding
fire on them. In this article I'll explain why that is, and suggest an
alternative way to develop components in the meantime…"
https://adamsilver.io/articles/the-problem-with-web-components/

+07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Paper Prototyping 101 (Video)
By Rachel Krause.
"Using paper prototypes is a great way to test a design idea and get
usability feedback quickly. You can test whether a layout makes sense
to users and make immediate changes if they run into issues."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/paper-prototyping-101/

+08: JAVASCRIPT.

Fallback Considerations for ARIA role=img
By Scott O'Hara.
"By using ARIA's role="img" you can change the semantics of an element
to expose itself to the browser's accessibility API as an image or
'graphic'…"
https://www.scottohara.me/blog/2019/06/10/no-fallback-drawback.html

+09: MISCELLANEOUS.

Disability Etiquette: University of Guelph Accessibility Conference
By John McNabb.
Info and slides from John's presentation at Guelph University's Annual
Accessibility Conference.
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2019/06/disability-etiquette-university-of-guelph-accessibility-conference/

Privisight
By Jeremy Keith.
"The New York Times has created a collection of articles relating to privacy…"
https://tinyletter.com/clearleft/letters/clearletter-from-clearleft-privisight

+10: TYPOGRAPHY.

The Case Against Banning Italics
By Ted Page.
"Why a blanket ban on italics for accessibility reasons is likely to
do more harm than good…"
https://accessible-digital-documents.com/blog/banning-italics/

+11: USABILITY.

Content is Service, Service is Content
By Gerry McGovern.
"…if you want to fix the problem, first we must fix the organization.
First rule of thumb is no more content, no more services. Just
customer tasks. The organization must organize around the customers'
tasks…"
http://gerrymcgovern.com/content-is-service-service-is-content/

Why Text Buttons Hurt Mobile Usability
By Anthony Tseng.
"The usability standards for buttons are higher for mobile apps than
desktop apps…"
https://uxmovement.com/mobile/why-text-buttons-hurt-mobile-usability/#UX

Readability Guidelines
By Content Design London.
"Imagine a collaboratively developed, universal content style guide,
based on usability evidence. With guidelines for creating easy to
comprehend content, we can design inclusively by default…"
http://readabilityguidelines.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

How Privilege Impacts Empathy
By Jess Dale.
"…The path to real change begins by acknowledging our participation in
developing products and systems that reinforce economic inequality and
racism, whether directly or indirectly. The truth is, we're
responsible."
https://uxdesign.cc/how-privilege-impacts-empathy-b34ad0c16431

How to Avoid the 24 Perilous Pitfalls to UX Maturity (PDF)
By Human Factors.
"A conversation with Eric Schaffer CEO and Founder Human Factors International…"
https://humanfactors.com/downloads/whitepapers/avoid_the_24_perilous_pitfalls_to_ux_maturity.pdf

UX vs UI vs IA vs IxD: 4 Confusing Digital Design Terms Defined
By Mockplus.
"We explained What is UX design? What is UI design? What is
Interaction Design and What is Information Architecture in this
article…"
https://medium.muz.li/ux-vs-ui-vs-ia-vs-ixd-4-confusing-digital-design-terms-defined-c4c3d2276fa6

User Experience vs. Customer Experience: What's The Difference?
By Kim Flaherty.
"Customer experience (CX) is a term commonly used to define UX over
long periods of time."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/ux-vs-cx/

Shifting an Engineering Driven Company to Be User Centered (Video)
By Jakob Nielsen.
"Jakob Nielsen answers the question of how one can transform an
organization from being focused on engineering to being focused on
customers' needs."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/shifting-engineering-user-centered/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson